Monday, January 4, 2016

Helping Hands







If there was any one consistent factor that characterized my adventures on the other side of the world it is this - time and again I felt that I was hanging by a hair's breadth and clinging for dear life on the edges of all kinds of strange cliffs when someone or the other would extend a helping hand and steadily haul me upward and onto safe and solid ground once more. This is a drawing to remind me of those moments and to remind myself that however inconvenient it is for me, when someone needs my help I must extend that helping hand. It is such acts of kindness that makes the world go round.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn’t go as planned, and that’s okay.
~ Rachel Wolchin


6 comments:

artpropelled said...

So glad there were helping hands when you needed them Priya. It must have been quite daunting being on your own in a strange country. Many a time I have been surprised by help arriving when I needed it in a strange city while my husband was so ill. I don't know how I would have managed otherwise.

Priya Sebastian said...

I look back with incredulity Robyn. What you've written about your experience reminds me of something a friend told me when my parents passed away within months of each other and I was at my most vulnerable - When you need help it will be there. If there isn't, you will be able to manage on your own. It is true. The human will and spirit are amazing.

Savita Krishnamoorthy said...

Being a migrant, all alone in a foreign country is no picnic. I am glad the Montrealers, and the Canadians were kind and gentle. A few random acts of kindness when you are in a dark place goes a long way. But having said that, I am glad you are in a better place now - literally and metaphorically.

Priya Sebastian said...

Thank you Savita.

Nancy // and while we are here said...

Very true, Priya! And I'm happy you experienced these acts of kindness! Spread the love! <3

Priya Sebastian said...

I will! Thank you Nancy :)