Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Exploring Malleswaram

While it is great to have company to sketch with at Sunday's Pencil Jams, it is even more fun to go exploring Benglur with someone who shares my love of the city's fast disappearing old bungalows. Ramya invited me to her area - Malleshwaram where she had noted down some old houses which might be interesting subjects for sketching. It was absolutely wonderful walking through the near empty streets of Malleswaram in the morning. This area is up late so even at 9am the streets were relatively empty. 




While we saw many charming houses though not all of them were conducive for sketching because they were too close to the pavement or we couldn't get a good enough view, no proper place to sit etc. 


We enjoyed simply looking and exploring before we finally settled on this one.





I couldn't get the entire structure in a photograph in spite of the large compound because the house was so big. It also had a beautiful miniature orange tree growing beside it on the left with one bright orange fruit which unfortunately did not photograph very well. I made sure I got the tree in my sketchbook though, even if it meant cutting off most of the building. This house will require a few more visits for a good drawing to evolve.



Ramya shared famous and delicious Shrewsbury biscuits from Poona with me.
She also did an excellent drawing of the entire house which you can see in this picture below.




It was understood that we ate dosas at CTR



Then we explored some more -


The Kannada lettering says Step 'n' Style

Cotton Candy in the distance




African Tulip tree

I can't wait to go for another sketching session here once more. 
This time I hope to be more successful while  drawing the house.


12 comments:

Unknown said...

Picking the outstanding from ordinary life and making them extra ordinary. You are looking 'things' with your mind and not with your eyes.

Nancy // and while we are here said...

Thank you for sharing these wonderful pictures and insights, Priya! How I would love to walk along this street and see it all in reality...

Can't wait to see more of your drawings from the house - I love the little detail you show in this post already. The one orange in the tree is a fantastic detail!

AntiquityTravelers said...

What a beautiful spot for inspired sketching! I love the architecture and would love to wonder the house and gardens. That biscuit looks delicious with a nice cup of tea :)

Gwen Buchanan said...

Priya, you have such an interesting life! Everywhere is color, beauty, and an exotic atmosphere!

pRiyA said...

Binu: Thank you for your comment. I think I know what you mean. It is all in the mind.

Antiquity: Thanks :)

little pink cakes: What I would really love to see is Bangalore through the lens of your camera. I really hope you come here one day and make your camera magic here.

Gwen: Come to think of it, that is exactly what I think about your life.

Anitha Gaddam said...

Lived in Bangalore during the 70's, Malleswaram was my dad's shopo for meats, produce, bakery etc. I have great interest in past eras, the personalities then and events, especially the "good old days". The images you posted, is a remembrance of some very special everyday life moments from my childhood while bonding with dad. Thank You !

Priya Sebastian said...

My pleasure Anitha. This post seems to have struck a chord in the hearts of lots of people, especially the non-resident Indians. Several of them have commented on FB or mailed me telling me how nostalgic they felt after seeing the pictures here.

Sheenzkm said...

Beautiful post about Malleswaram. loved it.

Sound Horn Please said...

I grew up in an old house like one of these. Thanks for the walk down memory lane Priya.

Perfect Witch said...

I think I visited Bangalore too late in the day. The only things I remember are the bad roads and horrendous traffic :(

Veda said...

Priya.....i m going to cry!!!!!firat rajdhani now ctr......2 places where i m craving to eat:-) loved this post....very nostalgic about bengaluru....thank u for posting!!!!!

regards,
veda

Sophie Munns said...

Oh to be in India and get to come along one one of your drawing escapades with friends and chat and eat wonderful foods...
now thats a lovely thought! THis is such a lovely post.... your images are very appealing, as always!